Sunday, 17 February 2013


Granddaughter No 1 came to stay last night and amused herself for hours typing letters. I was rather chuffed to get mine. Mummy, daddy and her baby brother got letters too. She played teachers and rapidly typed random keys in an officious manner under listed names of children I assume are in her class at school. She used an unplugged Skypephone to make "appointments."

We played Junior Monopoly and another board game I couldn't get the hang of called Pictureureka. When she got bored, I packed them away as she toddled off to watch Gangnam Style on YouTube and then children's TV on iplayer before a snack, drink and bed.

We had planned to do some gardening today because the sun's shining, maybe go to the park later on the way back from the shop. We aimed to make a trifle for tea and of course she wanted to do some more typing and printing before bed. But after breakfast she started to get a little homesick after ringing her mum, dad and little brother and decided she wanted to go home instead of staying two nights as planned. It was the first two-night sleepover, having never stayed longer than a night before, and despite the fact she suggested it and really wanted to come, we all thought she would change her mind once away from home and she did. Two days is a long time when you're only 6 years old.

She'd brought enough clothes and toys with her for a week's holiday. It was all packed up again, bags loaded into the car and we set off across town to her house. She didn't even want to wait for lunch. She was excited to tell everyone what she'd been doing at Granny's and what a good time she'd had and to see everybody. Mum and dad looked proudly at their typed letters as she handed them over. Grandson No 1 looked a bit bemused when he got his and put it straight to his mouth to taste it - but then he is only 19 months old.

We had a cup of tea and then said our goodbyes. We headed back to the car to go home, clean up and put her bed away, and remove all the childproof things until next time, but she threw an almighty fit once we'd gone through the gate because she'd changed her mind again and wanted to come back for the second night after all. Grandad couldn't be bothered with all the toing and froing so we told her that she could come for two nights next time, or maybe another night this week, but it was no good. Mum texted us on the way home to say she was inconsolable and I didn't feel much like the "best graney a had in my laf" so I was relieved when we heard that all was fine by the time we got home and she had settled down.

Today is the 12th anniversary of when my mum died and I wonder what she would have done in that situation when my kids were small. I think she would have surrendered and gone back as I wanted to but I'm told I spoil the grandchildren too much. I know I'm guilty of that, and letting them have their way on everything, but then isn't that what grandparents are for? I did all the discipline, foot-down stuff when I was a mum and now it's time to play when the kids are about. They don't make me feel like a granny so much as an antique little girl and that's why grandkids are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment